Job Description :
As a ramp operative you will be responsible for the loading and unloading of baggage and cargo onto the ramp and into the hold of the aircraft. Handling items up to 32 kilo grams (64 lbs) working in outdoor conditions you will play an integral role in ensuring the safe and on time departure of the flight.
Once training is completed you will use various types of equipment and machinery to turnaround the aircraft. This can include electric trolleys, baggage carts and conveyer belts. You must be prepared to work in all weather conditions, working from heights and confined spaces all whilst adhering to strict security regulations.
Duties Include :
- Loading and unloading of baggage on and off an aircraft
- Sorting of baggage for the correct flight
- Using various types of equipment
- Working to tight deadlines
- Overseeing the movement of passengers
- Adhere to strict security and safety regulations
What you need:
- Be physically fit
- Previous manual handling experience
- A good standard of literacy and numeracy
- Prepared to cover a 24 hour operation 7 days a week
- Work to tight deadlines
- Communication skills
- Be a team player
- Follow and act on instructions
- Driving license maybe required
Working hours can vary from 20 - 30 hours per week but flexibility will be required to cover overtime or flight delays. The shifts will include covering a 24 hour operation seven days a week with minimum shifts being 4 hours and maximum shifts 12 hours.
To progress in this career it is advisable to gain experience of all aspects of the job, including the operation of machinery and technological equipment, storage logistics and transportation. After several years' experience, it may be possible for baggage handlers to become supervisors or team leaders.